Bradley A. Leger Consulting, LLC
Spiritual Direction/Companioning and Retreats
Just what is spiritual direction?
According to Spiritual Directors International (SDI), spiritual direction is “a process of accompanying people on a spiritual journey and helping them grow closer to God (or the Sacred, the Holy, or a Higher Power). Spiritual direction, [usually done on an individual basis between a director and directee], helps people learn how to live in peace, with compassion, promoting justice, and as humble servants of that which lies beyond all names.” Some people prefer referring to it as “spiritual companioning.” Reasons why a person may seek spiritual direction include:
• Identify and trust your own experiences of God
• Integrate spirituality into your daily life
• Discern and make difficult choices
• Share your hopes, struggles, and losses
• Develop a sensitivity for justice and concern for the poor
• Live the essence of your spiritual affiliation with integrity
Brad is an experienced spiritual director who has also assisted in the formation of future directors.
Brad also has many years of experience in facilitating retreats and days of reflection with individuals and groups. As the definition suggests, a retreat is a time to withdraw from one’s regular routines and demands of life. Reasons for participating in a retreat include:
• spending time with oneself and/or others to reflect on the direction of one’s life
• reflecting on one’s relationship with the Holy
• exploring new methods of prayer or deepening one’s present practices and routines
• gaining new insights via a structured, specific retreat topic
• beginning or continuing a journey of self-acceptance and healing
All of the above-described efforts revolve around the ultimate respect for the individual. They are extended within an environment of inclusivity, regardless of one’s gender identity, sexual orientation, race, or ethnicity.